Meryl Davis is the 2014 Olympic champion, 2010 Olympic silver medalist, two-time World champion, and six-time U.S. champion in ice dance alongside partner Charlie White. Davis and White also led the U.S. to the 2014 Olympic bronze medal in the inaugural team event.
Gillis Grafström is one of the best Olympic ice skaters of all time. During his time, he became the first male skater to dominate the Olympic Games by winning gold successively between 1922 and 1928. During the early portion of the 20th century, there were not many better than Sweden’s Salchow.
Here are 20 famous female Olympic skaters, ranging from Russian Alina Zagitova to Norwegian Sonja Henie.
She shares two sons with her husband of over 50 years, Greg Jenkins. Just months after their 2014 famous female ice skaters names Olympic victory, the duo competed against each other on season 18 of Dancing with the Stars.
- He stays busy working in real estate as well, and even tried his hand in fashion as a creative consultant and vice president for Vera Wang.
- Although she never showcased her talent on the competitive stage, Fairbanks has coached title holders, including Atoy Wilson, the first black U.S. national title holder.
- Throughout his career, the Olympic champion has been regarded as one of the most successful Canadian figure skaters.
- Yamaguchi eventually transitioned to ladies full time and had her best season in 1992, winning U.S., World and Olympic titles.
- After the tragedy, Peggy helped rebuild the world of figure skating.
In addition to her Olympic gold, Yamaguchi placed first at the world championships for ladies’ singles in 1991 and ’92. Off the ice, Yamaguchi is probably best known for winning Season 6 of “Dancing with the Stars.” Not only is Hamilton one of the greatest skaters https://accounting-services.net/ of all time, but he remains a true ambassador for the sport — and not just in the United States. The diminutive Hamilton overcame a childhood illness to eventually win four consecutive national championships within the U.S. ( ) and four straight world titles.
THEN: At age 15 in 1998, Tara Lapinski became the youngest individual gold medalist in Winter Olympic history.
These ladies are known for their incredible grace, artistry, and athleticism on the ice, and they continue to inspire young girls everywhere to take up figure skating. Olympic figure skating was added to the Winter Olympics in 1908, and it was the first to feature.